This surely is so troublesome. You know you are hungry and need to eat but you can’t. Don’t feel like it! You sure have a lot of food on the table but you just ignore it. You can’t imagine swallowing any of it.
You are hungry but can’t eat!
This sort of thing happens a lot to people, and in normal circumstances, it’s not something that you should really worry about. Even so, it is important that this is given attention and help.
Why is this happening?
There are lots of factors causing this situation. Most of the time, factors causing it affect the mental or physical aspects of the body. Let us find out some of the reasons why.
A lady has the delicious goodness for a breakfast but found it nauseous to eat. One major reason for such condition is pregnancy.
• Problems within the mind
Most common, but true. The mind can take control of our appetite. I got it, you are depressed, stressed and is undergoing some mental fatigue.
In this kind of state, your stomach generates more acid than the normal. The acid will make you feel “full”. So even though you know that it is time for you to eat, you don’t feel like it.
And if you have a lot of things going on in your mind, I do not think you will care to eat either!
Now this one is not new. It is natural for a pregnant woman to feel hungry but can’t eat. It has something to do with the body adjusting to the fetus growing inside. The fluctuation of different hormones during this time could be the biggest contributor.
Pregnant women need to eat their certain cravings but can’t eat or vomit when the food is there. This condition will gradually go away till the last trimester.
If you are sick, like a cough or cold, then this could be the problem. When you are sick, your body accumulates a complex inflammatory response. You produce cytokines, a chemical that is responsible for the decreased appetite. It would apply to other nature of sickness too.
For drug addicts, this is what they would feel if they cut down on their usual doses. If they are to stop consuming an amount, they would start to feel sick every time they try to eat something. It’s a very negative side-effect. Other than the usual drugs, this could also be because of a smoking addiction.
There are several reasons why you are not in the mood to it. Being ill is one that could made you worry.
What are you supposed to do?
Usually, this kind of problem can be fixed with time, but if it starts to become worse throughout the days then that is something different. Your body needs the nourishment to keep it going.
• How to fight depression and eat?
Depression is just in your mind. Here are some tips on how to fight it.
- Try to divert to happy thoughts and go out with friends.
- Travel and vacation can be a great way to take your stress away.
- Buy your favorite food, the kind that you can hardly resist.
- Take your time, relax and rest.
• How to eat well, even when you are sick?
It is normal to lose your appetite when sick. However, you can persuade yourself to eat even amongst certain odds.
- Seek the doctor’s help. He may give you medication to bring back your appetite.
- Drink plenty of water. Dehydration can cause loss of appetite.
- Do not skip your daily vitamins.
• If you are a smoker or a drug addict.
- If you can’t drop smoking or drugs altogether, keep them at a minimum. Gradually withdraw until you will no longer want them.
- Eat a balanced diet, something that you would be able to handle. If you keep making this a habit the results will start to show in time.
- Keep eating as much as you can and hold on until you get better.
If it has something to do with your food or diet, it is about time to make some changes. Anything boring and plain won’t lift up your appetite.
- Change your weekly menu or diet.
- Add more flavor to your food.
- Share recipes with friends.
However, if none of these explain as to why you are having that problem you have two options:
- Wait for it to disappear and keep trying to eat regular amounts. This is applicable to pregnant women who totally get their appetite back at the last trimester of pregnancy.
- If you believe that there is a serious problem with your body, go and have it checked with a doctor.
Tip: Drinking herbal medicines will help in the process of things, and if you aren’t comfortable with that, a regular time for tea would be enough.
When taking certain medications, your taste buds might not function the usual however delicious the food in front of you might be.
Eventually, this condition will just pass. Once you have resolved your problems, depression will go away. Your appetite will be back. And that goes true with the illness, pregnancy, and addiction too. So if you are hungry but can’t eat today, make sure you do tomorrow!
If you found this article helpful and think that there would be someone else who would find this useful, don’t forget to share it on any of your social media.