In many cases, people opt not to freeze potato salad. As I went searching for ideas, only a few gave in to the choice of doing so. Can you freeze potato salad? It’s a big question that needs to be addressed now.
Many people discourage me in doing so, but nothing can keep a foodie like me from experimenting. Later in this article, we will know the ups and downs of freezing a potato salad. We may be able to share some nice advice to all eager readers out there.
The Possibility of Freezing a Potato Salad
Of course, anything can be frozen. So yes, there is a great possibility of a successful freezing. We know that any dairy related product does not freeze that well. It has the tendency to separate during the process and end up watery after thawing.
Hmm, you may like this first: How to Cook Frozen Tamales in Several Ways?
For potatoes, it is a fact that it will turnout gooey and color will transform to dark brown or even black. Just by looking at it will turn off any appetite you still have. Well, to inform, potato salad is a combination of mayonnaise, eggs, and potatoes. To freeze potato salad, you will first need an airtight storage box to avoid cross-contamination when refrigerated.
Potato salad is a favorite choice for every party and is a regular to any household
For a first-timer, it is a puzzle to find easy methods for a successful freezing. We separate the mayonnaise, eggs, and potato out of the salad and freeze them individually. Do you think it would work? I guess it would be absurd. The taste of the potato salad will never be the same.
Let us continue on freezing potato salad as it is and apply some tips that experts have shared.
Tips on How to Freeze Potato Salad
Moms, chefs, and friends have given their part in sharing tips on how to freeze a potato salad successfully. We will make use of below good advice.
- Overcooking a potato is a big “NO”. Potatoes that were being cooked just right has a high level of sustaining freezing than the gooey ones. Commercial mayonnaise has more amount of preservatives. Better use it so that your salad will last longer.
- The potato salad that has less exposure to open air or room temperature has the big chance of doing well during freezing. Less exposure means fewer bacteria.
- It is best to freeze potato salad just right after you made it. Freshly made salads last longer during freezing.
- Prepare clean and tightly sealed containers to be used during freezing. This will prevent bacteria from thriving inside.
- Don’t put too much potato salad in one container. It is a delicate dish so overcrowding it in one freezer bag will probably make it mushy after. It is important to leave a little bit space for it to breathe. Make sure there is no excess air inside the bag or container before sealing it tightly.
- It is a good idea to freeze potato salad in small portions. It freezes faster and it will be convenient for you to take out just what you need. Choose the coldest part of the freezer when placing your potato salad.
- Use a permanent marker to write down the date for each bag. Labelling them with the current date of when you freeze them helps in tracking length of time.
Spanish potato salad called Ensaladilla Rusa is usually made with lots of mayonnaise
With all those techniques to guide us, it will make it easy for us to successfully freeze our potato salad. However, it is being expected that the taste of the salad will not be the same as freshly made. Yet, we can still eat it delicious.
Tip: You can freeze potato salad to a maximum of one month. It is best to eat them before or early.
How to Thaw Potato Salad?
Thawing is easy but you need to heed on important guidelines like below.
- Just take a portion of frozen potato salad and place it in the refrigerator. The suitable fridge temp is 40 degrees F or below.
- NEVER thaw your potato salad at room temperature. The eggs in it spoil fast. Since it is outside the fridge, exposure to bacteria is a high risk and it may lead to poisoning.
- A big “NO” to using a microwave oven.
- Thawing it in the refrigerator will take a day. So if you are planning to eat your potato salad within the day, it would be perfect!
- If you can’t wait for a day to eat your potato salad, put the potato salad with its original container in a sink or bowl of cold water. Replace with brand new cold water every half an hour until it is completely thawed.
- As long as your potato salad stays in the 40 degrees F temperature, you can still re-freeze it and use it again later.
Russian Potato salad usually has beets and carrots and uses balsamic vinegar rather than champagne
Here are some tips on how to make your thawed potato salad more flavorful and pleasing to eat.
- After it is completely thawed, you can add fresh mayonnaise. Mix it for a fresher and more flavorful taste. Consider mashing the potato again too.
- Mix newly cooked potato to your thawed potato salad. The idea of garnishing it with greens, cheese, and fruits will make it appear like it is a freshly made salad.
Follow the tips, techniques and some warnings in the process of freezing. I can’t see why we won’t be able to freeze it perfectly. It is a good thing there are experts who are willing to share their knowledge.
Do you think this article has been helpful to you? Can you freeze potato salad now with confidence? Try and make it again if you need to. Do not give up!
See also how to store potato salad here